Ocena wątku:
  • 0 głosów - średnia: 0
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A 25-year-old freelance journalist from British Columbia was form
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A 25-year-old freelance journalist from British Columbia was formally charged on Thursday with a felony, five days after she was arrested in the United States over allegations she threatened to kill her hockey player boyfriend. Tieja MacLaughlin, who has worked for several media outlets in Kelowna, was charged with one count of felony harassment, according to court documents. She remained in custody, with bail set at $50,000, and she was scheduled to appear in court in Kennewick, Wash., on Friday. She is alleged to have threatened Jackson Playfair, a 19-year-old junior hockey player on the Tri-City Americans, who she had been dating since last summer, according to the documents. The charge includes a "domestic violence" allegation because they were in a relationship at the time. None of the allegations have been tested in court, and police documents and court records indicate MacLaughlin denied threatening to kill Playfair when questioned by officers. MacLaughlins case -- with its mix of hockey, accusations of infidelity, and a young journalist with a social media presence rife with photos for the taking -- has generated headlines across Canada, the United States and abroad. A prosecutor filed an affidavit with the Benton and Franklin Counties Superior Court on Thursday, offering new details about the allegations against MacLaughlin, some of which contradict earlier reports from Kennewick Police Department. According to the affidavit, prepared by prosecuting attorney Brendan Siefken, MacLaughlin and Playfair had been in an "on again, off again" relationship since the summer of last year. The affidavit says MacLaughlin was in Kelowna late last week, planning to visit Playfair in Kennewick that weekend, when Playfair disclosed during a phone call that he had "cheated" on MacLaughlin with someone he met in Spokane, Wash. "The defendant became upset and began to make verbal threats towards him," says the affidavit, which contains unproven allegations. "She advised him that by tomorrow night, he would be dead. Mr. Playfair advised that she threatened to kill him several times during the phone conversation." Playfair told MacLaughlin not to visit Kennewick as planned, the document says. But the affidavit alleges MacLaughlin persisted. "The defendant advised that she was coming down that day and that he did not have a choice, and that he needed to have things figured out or things were going to get very bad," the affidavit alleges. The following morning, Playfair received additional messages from MacLaughlin indicating she was at the border and on her way to Kennewick, the documents allege. Police had earlier said MacLaughlin travelled from Paris, Ont., but the prosecutors affidavit says she travelled from Kelowna, where she was living and working. A posting to a Twitter account that appears to be maintained by MacLaughlin appears to suggest she crossed the border last Friday afternoon. Playfair left for a game in Seattle -- the Tri-City Americans website indicates there was a game there on Friday night -- and after the match he found messages from MacLaughlin indicating she was in the Kennewick area, the affidavit alleges. "Based on the defendants prior threats and her presence in the Tri-Cities, the victim became worried that she might carry out her threats to kill," the affidavit says. He called police, who in turn visited MacLaughlin at a local Super 8 motel, the document claims. The affidavit alleges officers told MacLaughlin to stop contacting Playfair, but she subsequently sent him 20 to 25 text messages. Police arrested MacLaughlin on Saturday, according to police documents filed with the court. The Benton and Franklin Counties Office of Public Defense has previously confirmed MacLaughlin had been assigned a public defender. The office couldnt be reached for comment on Thursday. MacLaughlin has worked as a freelance reporter for Castanet, an online news website based in Kelowna, and the Kelowna Daily Courier newspaper. Articles bearing her name have appeared in both publications, as recently as this month. Playfair is originally from Fort St. James, B.C., according to biographical information on the teams website. He is the son of Phoenix Coyotes associate coach Jim Playfair, and his brother, Austyn Playfair, was signed to the Americans last year. A spokesperson for the Tri-City Americans has previously declined comment on behalf of both the team and Playfair. Deshaun Watson Womens Jersey . The Toronto Maple Leafs were holding a news conference, so they got curious. It didnt take long for them to find out via social media that coach Randy Carlyle was coming back — with a two-year extension — and assistants Greg Cronin, Scott Gordon and Dave Farrish were being let go. Lonnie Johnson Youth Jersey . He could have transferred when academic sanctions barred the Huskies from the NCAA tournament his junior season. http://www.texansrookiestore.com/Texans-...on-Jersey/. Vettel only needs to finish fifth or better Sunday to wrap up the championship with three races remaining, and bettered his own lap record to claim his third straight pole at Buddh International Circuit. Justin Reid Texans Jersey .5 million. The 25-year-old Varlamov is thriving under first-year coach and Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy, posting a 26-9-5 record with a 2. Kahale Warring Womens Jersey . Kelli Stack and Alex Carpenter also scored for the Americans, who avoided a repeat of Finlands upset at the Four Nations Cup in Lake Placid, N.Y., in November. Finnish goalie Noora Raty made 58 saves in that one, but the three-time Olympian could stop just 40 of 43 U.I have almost no idea what to say anymore about conclusions and sports and because I never played any other sport at a high level, I would never speculate or conclude about what to do out of respect to that sport. I was casually listening to the radio and my interest piqued as the narrative of high school football was beginning. In the report and discussion, it was stated that a study was done on high school football players that over the course of just one year, there had been damage to the brain of a high percentage of players throughout the course of a single season. This was quite eye-opening because I always figured that it took collective years to see significant damage and violent pro football-type hits to create the damage necessary to have cognitive results. I guess, or maybe simply should say I was wrong to have a timeframe in my mind. Then on Monday, I was reading USA Today and on page 3 of the sports is a story of Kosta Karageorge, who was an Ohio State football player who took his life at age 22. He was a walk-on and knowing what I know about walk-ons in Division 1 football, he was a demonstration player which means he did a lot of hitting. Both educations to me, one auditory and one visual reading, got me thinking about concussions and football; that something is really wrong here but what to do I am embarrassed to say I really dont know. Sometimes I think that some people through genetics unfortunately just have a type of brain that absorbs the punishment more than rejects it. Having only the basics in brain physiology at university, I have no real idea, more of a theory but when you think of someone at 22 who had a concussion history doing what he did and a report about the effects of high school football, it does make your mind search for answers. I had three bad concussions dduring my college and pro career and remember the details of all three.ddddddddddddAnd like many who have played football, Ive had many subtle moments of disorientation after unavoidable shots to the head. Fortunately, I feel fine and I think that is an issue because when you feel fine, you lose that ability to deeply relate. I have said if I had a son, I would hesitate to let him play football and this is from a person who has an occupation to promote the game. But I cant say with conviction that I would if I had. I know two players that are different after their careers and, out of respect, would never highlight them. And I wonder if there are others out there that I dont know about that live in quiet desperation. Are my perceptions changing about football? Yes, they are; not is a dramatic way but more in a way of conclusive awareness of a price you may pay. And I say may because there are also many football players who have been retired for many years like me that have no problems. Concussions in sports are still in a grey area but a grey area just through repetition does not paint a positive future. Maybe it is the study of genetics and mans mastery of that knowledge base that could perceive the future and keep people safe that are suspect before they play. I will be the first one to put football in its proper place. It is a sport and only a sport. Good things happen out of it but the sport has little significance to what is important. Yet people pay a price later in life for action taken in the youth of life. I wonder if were all in denial and 30 seconds later. I wonder if it is a slight overeaction because health care is better than ever. But what really bothers me is I wonder why I have no idea what to say or conclude anymore. It is not that I am numb, more confused. Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys Wholesale NHL Jerseys Wholesale MLB Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Wholesale NCAA Jerseys Wholesale Football Jerseys Wholesale Basketball Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys ' ' '
Odpowiedz

Skocz do:

Użytkownicy przeglądający ten wątek: 1 gości